There are many ways to support and maintain healthy hearing, and nutrition plays a key part in hearing preservation. Studies confirm that poor nutrition and hearing loss go hand and hand. But, few people are aware that changing their nutrition can help guard against it.
Hearing loss is the 3rd most common health problem in the United States.
A study reported on in the Journal of Nutrition, has shown that diets high in sugar and carbohydrates detrimentally impacts hearing. A similar study shows that diets high in cholesterol also contribute to hearing loss normally associated with aging.
You are what you eat!
A healthy hearing diet should contain:
- More Omega 3 fat found in fish, nuts and seeds
- Less Omega 6 fat found in vegetable oil, corn oil and margarine
- More fruits and vegetables like kale, bell peppers, blueberries and bananas
- Less protein (2-3 ounces per meal)
- More whole grains
- Less flour-based pasta and bread
Nutrients That Can Protect and Improve Hearing:
Among the nutrients found to be most beneficial for protecting and improving hearing are:
These nutrients support hearing in a number of ways, including:
- Protecting against oxidative stress in the cochlea
- Preventing free radical damage